Saturday, August 2, 2008

First Trip to Labor and Delivery

I went twice with Bentley, and three times with Chloe, but hopefully this time wont be quite as frequent. Yesterday I noticed my feet were swollen. I have never dealt with the swelling in my other pregnancies so I was somewhat surprised. I just assumed it was due to the heat and didn't think twice about it. However, while at work, I noticed I was feeling some contraction-like cramping. I only had an hour or so left of my shift so I waited it out and called Jesus on my way home. He left work and we headed to labor and delivery. With the combination of swollen feet and contractions I didn't dare take any chances. I am still around 6 weeks away from being due, so this was not a ton of fun. Our nurse was awesome. They hooked me up to monitors and started asking all the standard questions. She was concerned I either had a bladder infection, kidney infection, or simply was dehydrated. I wasn't sure about the bladder infection, but was fairly certain it wasn't issues with my kidneys again because this was a whole different pain. They did a UA and it came back with no sign of infection, and everything was pointing to dehydration. Dehydration is one of the biggest reasons women have preterm contractions. Now, I want to point out that I drink water. I drink lots of water, but being prego in the St. George heat and chasing two toddlers while working full time has a way of wiping you out. So, I got re-hydrated, they cleared it with my doctor, and 3 hours later, I was home. I have been told to rest, drink even more water than I think I need, and call my doctor if anything changes. I took a picture of my feet so I could show you how swollen they are, but its not the greatest. You can see the red marks from where my shoes were and notice that there isn't much definition between ankle and calf... basically - I have cankles. The good news is, baby is doing well, and is still in a very good position for how far along I am. Very high, not dilated at all, and the cervix is still thick. We may make it to my due date after all!

On another note, we getting prepared and super excited to go up north for Niki's wedding. My step sister is getting married on 8/8/08 and the whole family is going up. I am a bridesmaid, Jesus is a groomsman, and Bentley is one of the ring bearers. We are staying in a condo in Park City and I am so excited to go shopping, swimming, and just relax. Jesus is actually taking a few days off of work! We will leave Thursday and hopefully (if Jesus isn't itching to get back sooner) we will come home Monday. Well, hopefully I will have lots of pictures of our little vacation to share when we get back since a lot of my posts have been kinda boring...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hey I want the condo in Park city...lol j/k I love my house...I can't wait to see Ava I have never meet her. Take care of yourself and that baby I will keep you in my prayers....just don't go into labor up here hahaha actually do because that will mean that I could be there

Marci said...

wow, i hated that part of being prego...i was like that too in the middle of the summer. hey she got married on mine and nicks anniversary, ya its already been 5 years i cant believe it. how time flys really!