Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Our mini trip

We just got back from a quick trip to California. This will be a pictureless post for two reasons.
The obvious - 1. I broke my camera.
The not so obvious - 2. None of the moments that I am going to tell you about were really "hurry grab the camera" worthy.

We left town Friday when I got off work. I had the worst headache and was looking forward to sleeping it off in the car. Things were fine and on schedule until between Mesquite and Glendale. Then we blew a tire. I mean full on, tire off the rim, almost flying into the other lane - blowing a tire. Luckily Jesus was driving because there is NO WAY I would have been able to handle that. Jesus got us safely to side of the road and began to change the tire. People were flying by, not even attempting to get into the far right hand lane for our safety. It also really bothered me that not ONE PERSON stopped to offer assistance. It reminded me of my Grandpa. If we were ever out on an excursion and we ran across someone needing assistance we stopped. Even if they told us no thank you and sent us on our way, we still stopped. I mentioned this to Jesus and his response was "It doesn't matter, I don't need help. I got it." I think he missed the point....
We drove to Vegas on the spare and begon to search for a decent priced tire shop. Since Jesus has to have the 24 inch rims and low profile tires, I knew this would get expensive fast...
We found a Discount Tire "right off the freeway" (according to them). It took us half and hour to get the after we got off the freeway. Where I come from this is not "right off the freeway". Anyway, $300 dollars and and hour later, we were back on the road with In 'n' Out in our bellies. We made it to California with no more delays. It was 11:00 by the time we got there and we were exhausted. The kids didnt sleep well, but Jesus was such a sweetie he slept in the other room with them so I could try to sleep of my headache that had never managed to go away. We woke up and went to the Swap Meet. A must for a trip to California. I got Chloe the cutest little pair of pink and black polka dot flats. $5.00. Yep, that was my steal for the day. After that we went back to Jesus' dad's house for a bar-b-que.
The next morning was the Memorial Mass for Jesus' Grandma who passed away one year ago. This was the reason we went to California. We woke up bright and early to get ready. I know a lot of you complain about 9:00 church, this was much worst. Try 7:30. So I woke up and got ready and waited till the last minute to wake the kids up. Chloe was not having it.... during the first 20 minutes of the Mass she was screaming, so I gladly took her back to the house. This was fine with me, since the entire service was in Spanish. I was the only non-Hispanic person there, except for the priest. He was Asian- speaking Spanish.... I was a little out of my element.
We spent the rest of the day with the family eating lots of good food.
Things we fine until that evening. I am not sure completely what led up to the next drama, but what I do know is Giovanni - Jesus' little brother was climbing a fence. Not a chain link, or typical fence, it was one of those secutiry fences, that are a skinny pole that are almost impossible to climb. Well, as he climbed to the other side he fell. The fence literately stabbed him in the side. He was taken to the emergency room and given an x-ray. He didnt puncture any organs (luckily) so he was able to leave with a tetnus shot, some stitches and a couple staples. Last we heard he was still in a lot of pain, and they were keeping him home from school for a few days. Poor guy!
That was pretty much the jist of it. We are home now, and all is well.
We have our ultrasound next week on the 9th, and can't wait to know if this is a little boy baby or little girl. Feel free to post your opinion!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

oh wow you know what is sad I think I understand what you mean about the Asian Spanish speaking priest lol even after speaking spanish as much as I do I still probably wouldn't have been able to understand that preist. As far as your tire goes...At least you were not seriously hurt it could have been alot worse. I am glad your back safe and sound. Coby took my car into the shop yesturday found out it was a tire rod that was about too fall off and it was going to cost 200 dollars he said I could have seriously been hurt in an accident if it had fallen off

Megan said...

wow, quite the trip it sounds like!

My guess is girl. Though I think I'm just saying that off the top of my head! Can't wait to find out for real!

Unknown said...

p.s. We have an extra camera somewhere around here we never use so don't buy one hopefully we will be coming up soon and if I can find it you can have it. Whenever we didn't have one we just used those cheep disposabal cameras that are what...like 5 10 dollars I bet you can use that in the meantime ;)

Meghan said...

Hey doll! it is good to hear from you! and you preggers!!!! That is so much fun! do you know what you are having yet? Yeah that is a sad story. But it looks like we are going to get be able to help him, so that is good.